Typhoon ‘Pepeng’ claims 3 lives in Isabela

Agence France-Presse
First Posted 17:54:00 10/03/2009

MANILA, Philippines—(UPDATE) Typhoon “Pepeng” (international codename: Parma) claimed at least three lives on Saturday as it stormed through the northern Philippines, officials said.

One man drowned after he was swept away by a strong current while trying to cross a river in San Mariano town in Isabela province, local police and provincial officials said.

The civil defense office said a man also died from falling off a roof and a two-year-old boy drowned about 400 kilometers to the south in Camarines Sur province.

An 18-year-old boy was also reported missing after he fell in a drainage canal and was washed away in the northern resort city of Baguio, the city’s civil defense officials said.

Thousands of people had evacuated their homes before the arrival of the typhoon, which ripped off rooftops and knocked down trees across the north of Luzon on Saturday, where it made landfall.

The typhoon’s effects had been felt much earlier on the island’s eastern extremes.