People were busy preparing for today’s annual Fiesta when without warning a truck trailer holding two twenty foot shipping containers rammed into the crowd. Some vehicles were also shunted just a few meters outside of the Sacred Heart Parish in barangay Poog, Toledo City, about 50 km west of Cebu City. Which left four people dead and eight others wounded most of which were vendors busy preparing for the Fiesta celebrations.
The truck driven by Joel Pepito who is thirty one was negotiating a downward slope when the brakes failed causing him to be unable to slow the vehicle and resulted in him losing control. The driver handed himself to Police and is now being detained pending a case being filed for reckless imprudence resulting to multiple homicide and physical injuries. The vehicle is owned by CNT Trucking license plate GXN 816 which had arrived from Cebu City bound for Barangay Sangi in Toledo with a delivery to Atlas Fertilizer.
The people killed in the incident are named as :-
- Efren Sitoy, 24, of Naga City
- Ariel Roble, 19, Compostela town
- Orlando Sunngayan, 32 of Private Road, Cebu City.
- Juliet Mainit, 35, of Pinamungahan town – was hit by the truck
The people injured in the accident are named as :-
- Vilma Casas, 39 of Danao City
- Laarni Hermoso, 26
- Eldy Hermoso, 26, reportedly from Danao City
- Avita Castañares, 45, of Private Road, Cebu City
- Adrian Sunggayan, 4
- Angie Sunggayan, 10, who are believed to be siblings also Private Road.
- Peter Abadilla, 28
- Henry Castañares, 34,
Six other victims were transferred to the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center in Cebu City due to very serious injuries.
The location of the incident is a locally known black spot for accidents.