Diatomaceous Earth (DE)! This stuff is wonderful and it’s safe. It is a powder that comes from the skeletons of a class of algae called diatoms. You merely sprinkle the powder where you have seen the ants and its kills them by drying them up. I have even read lately that it is safe for pets to ingest, to kill intestinal parasites (although I don’t know if I would recommend that just yet). I have used it in my home successfully against ants, and I keep cats, birds, and reptiles, none of which suffered any ill effects from the DE. You can purchase DE at a health food store, natural gardening center, or even one of those large home centers (I recently saw it with the bad pesticides at Lowe’s).
Diatomaceous Earth #2
Indoor and Outdoor Ant Control Supplies:
Diatomaceous Earth Instructions: Dust food-grade Diatomaceous Earth along the ant’s pathways. Note: The white powder will cut through their exoskeleton and they will dehydrate and die.
Boric Acid #1
Indoor Ant Control Supplies:
1- tbsp. Boric Acid
1- tbsp. mint jelly or peanut butter
1- Small cracker
1- cardboard box
Mix the Boric Acid and mint jelly; spread mixture on a cracker. Punch pinholes in a cardboard box; place cracker inside box. Place box in an area where ants cause problems, but away from children and pets. Note: The mint jelly or peanut butter lures the ants in and the boric acid kills them.
Boric Acid #2
This is in response to the person with an ‘ant’ problem. We live in Bermuda where we have our fair share of bugs. Though we don’t have anything that bites, like mosquitoes or no-see-ums, we do have ants. There is a way to get rid of them without using a toxic spray. Mix half a teaspoon of BORIC ACID powder with some water till dissolved, then add 1-cup sugar and mix together with enough water (preferably hot to help dissolve them both) till it is a runny syrup. I shake them in an old jam jar to mix. Put in a container (again, a used jar is ideal) and put in a piece of paper towel so that it touches the bottom of the jar but comes over the top to touch a wall so that the ants will have access to it. If the mixture gets too thick, just add more water. Keep refilling until the ants stop coming. The ants will ‘suck’ the mixture from the paper towel and take it back to the nest. The Boric Acid will scratch their digestive systems, killing them. At first, it may seem that you are attracting more ants and it could be days or weeks before they stop coming but you will kill the whole nest eventually. The Boric Acid is poisonous so you don’t want it accessible to children or animals. I put it around the outside of the house to attract them out rather than in, though when we first moved here my kitchen was full of them and the mixture worked in about 2 weeks – that’s a year ago and I haven’t had any ants in the kitchen since. They also use it at the Montessori school my 8 year old son goes to because they had to spray Raid everyday (which is not good for anybody).
Boric Acid #3
Mix Borax Acid with sugar water. Place it on the ant trails and where the ants are coming in. It kills any ant that eats the mixture. From CSinbad
Boric Acid #4
Make a syrup of ½ cup sugar, ¼ cup water, 2 teaspoons Borax Acid. Cook until smooth and well blended. Let cool. Put in old jar lids where you see the ants coming in (near windows/doors). I put mine on the windowsills behind curtains. It took a couple of weeks and I thought it wasn’t working, but one day I realized I hadn’t seen any ants for quite awhile. I looked behind the curtains and found a few little black bodies to clean up, but the price was negligible.
Molasses/Honey & Active Dry Yeast
Try mixing this up it works wonders for ants:
1- part active dry yeast
1- part of molasses or honey
Add a little water to thin mixture. (It should be paste like.)
Spread onto little 2" square pieces of cardboard and place anywhere you see ants. Replace as needed. It takes about 2 weeks but this will get rid of ants guaranteed.
We have ‘them, too. About everybody we know does, here in Southern California. We don’t like to spray poisons around, so we have to put up with them to some extent, but we have found that they hate baby powder
(Preferably scented talcum). If you find a trail of them in your house, or some "scouts" looking for food so they can bring the rest of their nest to enjoy it, just sprinkle the baby powder on the ants and wherever they are coming in from, if you can find it, and you will see them begin to get upset. After a while, they’ll be gone, and they won’t be back again for a while, even after you remove the powder. We dust baby powder on our honey jar and sugar bowl, as well as the outside of the cats’ dish and it keeps the ants off.
Sounds crazy, but try vinegar! Fill a squirt bottle with plain old cheap white vinegar, and squirt it anyplace you’ve seen ants (kitchen counters, windowsills, etc) and let it dry. It’s non-toxic, won’t harm anything, and the smell will go away in just a couple of minutes. It worked for me!
I have a book with several tips for the use of apple cider vinegar. One of them is getting rid of ants. Make a mixture of 50/50 water and vinegar and pour it into a spray bottle. Spray the surface with the solution several times a day. Ants guide themselves with their scent. Vinegar has a natural chemical that alters ants’ scent and which ants avoid.
Try wiping down the counter with plain white vinegar.
I have a suggestion for the ant problem, plain old cinnamon. I put in or at the site of the ant invasion. They back off quick!
Black pepper is a non-lethal; poison free, cheap, and safe way to get rid of ants. Sprinkle the black pepper where you see them congregating and watch ‘them scatter. Follow them to where they’re exiting – which is the same spot they’re entering in at – and sprinkle the pepper at that spot to keep them from coming back in. It’s safe to use in your cabinets, on windowsills, near your pets and kids, around food, etc.
Cream of Wheat & Instant Grits
Indoors and Outdoors Ant Control Supplies:
Cream of Wheat
Place a dish of 1½ cups Cream of Wheat where the ants can access it. Note: After they eat it, the cereal expands and the ants will explode.
Get some plain-flavored instant grits and sprinkle them in areas where you have seen the ants. The ants will take the grits back to their queen, and when she eats them, they will expand and kill her. When the queen dies, the nest dies. Grits are not toxic to humans or pets. – CMH
Mint Oil/Mint Gum
Some mint oil and mint chewing gum help repel ants in a house. Place a stick or open pack of mint chewing gum on a shelf. Outside you can plant mint around the foundation. It makes a good groundcover and is fragrant when it’s stepped on. I hope this helps. Please let me know. – Diana