How to get a 13 (a) Visa resident visa for the Philippines

I just finished my 13a applications using the long form and all the
tests, quarantine clearance, NBI, etc. BI FEES were p6,100 peso for
the application portion. 4 ea 2×2 photos were submitted.
Upon approval of "Probational Order for 13a Status" (1 year) I then
submitted application for ACR Card. FEES: p3,200 and 3 ea 2×2 photos.
TOTAL fees to BI were p9,400 and 7 sets of 2×2 photos.
Thereafter, renewal fee of $50.00 US will be required annually.

This was copied off one of the Yahoo Groups Boards – [US_Military_Retirees_Of_The_Philippines].

NEW FOR 2008   MCL-08

Republic of the Philippines
Department of Justice



To avoid the summary denial / delay of your applications/petition, please be advised of the following:

1. Al sworn statements or affidavits must be duly notarized.

2. Documents executed outside the Philippines must be authenticated by the Philippine embassy/consulate official of he Philippines Foreign Service at the place of issuance or place nearest to it, with English translation, if written in other foreign language. Any document executed within the Philippines must be duly certified by the offices having official custody of the originals.

3. All documents required for submission must be arranged in the order as listed hereunder; otherwise your application or petition can not be processed immediately.



1. (  ) Duly notarized letter of application by the Filipino spouse.

2. (  ) General Application Form duly accompanied and notarized (BI Form No. MCL-07-01).

3. (  ) NSO authenticated copy of birth certificate of Filipino spouse and certified copy of the ID as Filipino Citizen issued by BID.

4. (  ) NSO authenticated copy of the Marriage Contract of alien and Filipino spouse or authenticated by the Philippine embassy/consulate nearest to or in the place where the marriage was solemnized.

5. (  ) Bureau of Immigration (BI) clearance certificate; and

6. (  ) Plain Photocopy of the passport of foreign national’s spouse showing applicants bio-page, admission stamp and authorized stay of at least twenty (20) calendar days from date of filing.


*This is to certify that the documents submitted in support of the application/petition for

____________________________________________ are complete and in order

Legal Officer of the Day



Signature over printed name and date.


Conversion to Non-quota Immigrant by Marriage 13a

This visa is issued to a foreigner on the basis of his valid marriage to a Philippine citizen.

Who Can Apply?
To qualify for this visa, the applicant must prove that :

  • he contracted a valid marriage with a Philippine citizen;
  • the marriage is recognized under existing Philippine laws;
  • there is no record of any derogatory information against him in any local or foreign law enforcement agency;
  • he is not afflicted with any dangerous, contagious or loathsome disease;
  • he has sufficient financial capacity to support a family and will not become a public charge;
  • he was allowed lawful entry into the Philippines by immigration authorities; and
  • he has not been institutionalized for any mental disability.

Requirements:  SEE ABOVE

Breakdown of 13A Visa requirements and fees.

13(A) VISA FEES PDF Print Fee for section 13(a) initial one year probationary period:

1.Upon filing

Application fee         P1,010.00

*Express lane fee   P500.00

TOTAL  P1,510.00

2.Upon implementation

ACR and form fee        P1,050.00

Change of status fee   P600.00

Passport visa fee        P200.00

CRTV and form fee      P1,450.00

Implementation fee     P1,000.00

Legal research fee per item P10.00

Head tax                       P250.00

TOTAL                           P4,560.00

Fees for amendment of 13(a) visa from probationary to permanent resident:

1.Upon filing Application fee   P 1,010.00

*Express lane fee                    P500.00

TOTAL                                       P1,510.00

2.Upon approval / implementation

Passport visa fee   P200.00

Amendment fee      P500.00

Immigration Certificate of Registration (ICR) and form  P1,450.00

Implementation fee   P500.00

Legal research fee     P40.00

Express lane fee         P500.00

TOTAL                         P3,190.00



1. Letter of application

2. General application form duly accomplished and notarized (BI form No. RBR 98-01)

3. 2×2 picture to be attached to the application form

4.  Birth certificate of applicant/Filipino spouse. In the absence of B.C., the applicant(s) may submit the following instead:

Certificate of the Local Civil Registrar or the National Statistics Office of its loss or unavailability;

Any public document, which will establish the Filipino citizenship of the spouse

Affidavit of two (2) disinterested persons indicating nationality of parents of the Filipino spouse, birthplace (of Filipino spouse) and birth date of applicant

5.  True copy of the Marriage Contract of the applicant and the Filipino spouse

6.  Certificate of legal capacity to contract marriage issued by the Embassy or Consulate (of alien spouse) or official family registry with authentic interpretation as certified by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate

7.  Joint affidavit of legal capacity to contract marriage, stating any pr
evious marriage(‘s) and the manner by which the marriage was dissolved
8.  If alien spouse was previously married, a duly authenticated true copy of the divorce decree, dissolution of marriage or death certificate, as the case may be
9.  True copy of Birth Certificate of minor unmarried children under 21 years of age, if any
10. Joint affidavit of financial capacity and support executed by the applicant and the alien spouse with supporting documents showing capacity to support themselves

11. Medical Certificate from the Bureau of Quarantine that alien spouse and unmarried children are not afflicted with any contagious, dangerous and loathsome disease

12. AIDS Certificate (Clearance)

13. Clearance from the central government agency of the applicant’s country or place of residence, regarding any criminal record the applicant may have, duly authenticated by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate in or closest to the applicant’s country

14. NBI (National Bureau of Investigation) Clearance

15. BI Intelligence Clearance

16. Copy of passport of alien spouse and children showing date of arrival and validity of stay

17. Official Receipt of payment of visa fees

Note: All foreign documents or those documents executed or issued outside the Philippines must be properly authenticated by officers in the appropriate foreign service post (i.e. Philippine Embassy or Consular Office).

Permanent Resident Visa 13 (a)
I am an alien whose country has an immigration reciprocity agreement with the Philippines.
I am also married to a Filipina.

Am I qualified to apply for a permanent residence visa?
Yes, under the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940, Section 13 (a) you are eligible for permanent residency in the Philippines. This visa is issued to an alien on the basis of his valid marriage to a Philippine citizen.

To qualify for this visa, the applicant must prove that:

* He contracted a valid marriage with a Philippine citizen. (marriage license)
* The marriage is recognized as valid under existing Philippine laws.
* There is no record of any derogatory information against him in any local or foreign law enforcement agency.  (FBI or local police or NBI clearance needed)
* He is not afflicted with any dangerous, contagious or loathsome disease. (Medical exam needed)
* He has sufficient financial capacity to support a family and will not become a public burden.
* He was allowed entry into the Philippines and was authorized by Immigration authorities to stay.

NOTE: This visa is only available to citizens of a country which grants permanent residence and immigration privileges to Philippine citizens.
How can I apply for 13 (a) visa?
Ask for an application form (Form number RBR 98-01) from the Public Assistance Unit of the Office of the Commissioner Window One (1) or from the Makati Extension Office and accomplish the form properly. If you will be accompanied by your unmarried minor children they must fill up a separate form.

NOTE: form RBR-98 is a checklist. Form RBR 98-01 is the application. It can be downloaded here (you will need Adobe Acrobat 7.0 or better.

All documents to support your application must be properly certified as true copy. Sworn statements or affidavits should be notarized.

Foreign documents must be duly authenticated by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate at the place where they are issued.
You may submit the duly accomplished application form with the supporting documents to window (1) located at the ground floor of the main building of the Bureau of Immigration or to the Makati Extension Office.

NOTE: Filing fee should first be paid before an application is filed.
Filing Papers for Permanent
Resident Visa, 13A , Procedures, Ease, Time Involved

The paperwork involved in applying for the 13(a) visa here is not particularly onerous. There is, however, quite a lot of time involved and visits to various departments to get NBI clearance, Barangay Clearance
and statement that you are really living as man and wife, Health clearance/ X-ray, as well as various notarized affidavits  regarding your financial capacity to support, etc.The various notaries camped outside the Bureau of Immigration will have all the required
affidavits down pat and will type them up for you and notarize them.
The costs involved in notarizing are around P50 per sheet of paper, so a few hundred pesos will cover that lot.
After you submit all the paperwork you have to wait for several weeks until you receive the call to attend an interview with your wife. She will be questioned
mainly to determine whether she really wants you to be a resident.
After that there will be a further wait of several weeks until the
visa is granted after your application is sighted and approved by the Board of Commissioners.
This first application process will grant you
a probationary 13(a) visa for one year. You will then have to submit another, simplified, application in one year. The fees are not really excessive, but the process can be a little tiresome and you will need patience.
A Balikbayan visa is only given if you arrive here in the Philippines together with your Philippine spouse. You will have to ask for it so you should approach the immigration counter together. It will allow you to stay for one year without requiring extensions. After that period you must leave the Philippines. You can return the same day and start the process again.
NOTE: That there is no such thing as a yearly visa that you can apply for abroad, similar to Balikbayan. You can apply for a one year validity multiple entry tourist visa. This will enable you to come and go for one year without applying for further visas. You WILL need to extend your stay after 59 days on each visit however, same as for every tourist visa. The three months, or one year, refers to the validity of the visa not the length of stay you will be granted. There are other visas which are outside the scope of this thread and which entail large financial outlays.
In my case I was here on a tourist visa, and renewing every two months. I now have the Balikbayan waiver and have the time to commit to the adventure of stalking and capturing the illusive 13(a) Visa.

The initial probationary 13(a) visa process takes about 3 months and I will apply for the permanent 13(a) visa about one month before the expiry of the probationary visa. The processing of the final visa is slightly quicker. There is no need to worry about extending visas once the Bureau of Immigration has your application in hand. Unless of course they reject it for some reason. I have not seen any posts on the various forums about their 13(a) application having been rejected.
Once you have all the paperwork together it is checked anyway before you can submit it and any shortcomings will be pointed out to you so that it is unlikely that you will submit an incomplete application.

Spouse’s letter – example 1 -  in .txt format.
Spouse’s letter – example 2 -  in .txt format.
Spouse’s letter – example 3 -  IN .txt format.

Original document I found on but thought it was important to share the information. Also I will be able to see if anything has changed recently due to applying tomorrow for my 13(a).