how do you repair gaps and cracks on concrete walls and ply ceilings? – Philippines

This is a typical post from the new blog to do with construction in the Philippines over at :-

IMG_0389There is a problem with using hollowblock construction as well as plywood for ceilings and that is that cracks will form as well as gaps from installation. The solution is car body filler before painting. It makes sense but may not be an obvious solution for people who have either had cracks appear or are wondering how do they sort out a lot of these issues. Hopefully by the end of the day the ceiling will be ready for painting. The downside I found over the weekend with the car body filler though is it hardens extra fast due to the climate literally only good for a few minutes so mixing regularly and in small amounts is required. But a small quantity does go a long way and the results will pay off when finished. I am looking forward to seeing the rooms finished and ready for tiling as its all starting to take shape and looking nice. As you can also see from the photo I have already put the first coat of paint on the walls but left a cut in gap at the top for the ceiling to be painted first and at the bottom another gap due to the tiles going in and a good chance of splashing. Although the paint is waterproof etc. I would rather do the “finishing touches” once everything else is done.

0 comments for “how do you repair gaps and cracks on concrete walls and ply ceilings? – Philippines

  1. David (Grandpa)
    March 23, 2010 at 2:28 am

    Beware if using Hardiflex for Ceiling rather than plywood.

    The Builders used Hardifex as I did not want plywood, but they did not have experience of using this, but did use car body filler for the gaps between the sheets of Hardiflex.

    Hardiflex is bit like Astbestos Sheets, but dont have any ‘Asbestos’ but some other fibre mixed in with concrete, to produce hard, strong, warp proof and fire resistant ceiling/walls.  Trouble is ‘Hardiflex’ expands in the heat!  You need to leave a gap between sheets and use ‘slots’ on the mounting screw holes.  Using the hard Body filler, meant the gaps ‘bulged’ when the Hardiflex expanded.

    The answer I think, is to use a ‘flexible/elastic’ filler, such as Acrylic gap sealer, that remains slightly ‘elastic’ a bit like silicone rubber, but mixes with water and can be paited over.

  2. Matt Wilkie
    March 23, 2010 at 5:03 am

    Hi David,
                 thanks for the advice regarding hardiflex generally I would use something more of a mastic type as its a lot faster to apply from a gun and good for 20years. The problem I am having is mixing the “local” ways of working and the ways I would normally do things. The problem with that is sometimes you just have to let them carry on. Like the issue you had regarding the Hardiflex and then they used body filler. Because people will generally NOT tell you even if they knew it was the wrong thing they expect you to have all the answers which is the puzzling bit sometimes when your juggling several things. Which is why I went with the plywood. To be honest in the future I am likely to go with something that will last. E.g. the outside is more likely to be done in UPVC as its protected from the sun so unlikely to fade but its all down to cost. The Plywood is dirt cheap but as we get bigger the maintenance issue will become more important.

    Thanks for your reply 🙂